Sunday, February 1, 2009

Of London, Part Deux, Cont.

Sunday
The next day, we had to return back to campus by nighttime yet that did not deter us from taking in another one or two sights. This time, I got a better picture of Trafalgar Square in the daylight.



Not only that but we also visited my personal favorite space which appealed to the art historical geek within me: The National Gallery, where half of my textbook stems from. Sadly, they wouldn't let anyone take photographs (which is absurd since you can do so at the Metropolitan and MOMA in New York City, so long as the flash is not on). Not only that but I wanted to take pictures next to the paintings that up until now, I have only read about. Sadly, I only have my memories of the pieces such as the Jan Van Eyck's "Arnolfini Portrait," Paul Delaroche's "Execution of Lady Jane Grey" (the most popular painting in the gallery during the 1800's), and Georges Seurat "The Bathers." Not to mention the many Monet, Degas, Titian, and Rembrant pieces available for my eyes.

The strange thing is, for me, I grow restless within history museums yet when it comes to art museums, I cannot get enough of it. At one point, my travel mates had to wait for me to catch up since I was lingering in the Impressionist section of the gallery.

Oh, so many hours of reading and analyzation suddenly came back to me upon seeing those pieces and it just enhanced my appreciation of them all the more. For any type of art, whether it is classical, Renaissance, modern, or otherwise, one should always have a good background within the pieces. In that way, you gain more insight and pleasure upon viewing them than you would otherwise.



The highlight of my day

After an excersion into the National Portrait Gallery within the same building and a lunch in Chinatown (which led to another lurch of homesickness upon viewing the red balloons that signaled Tết), we braved the sprinkles of rain to make our way towards Buckingham Palace.

To say the least, it was an impressive sight and it's easy to see with such a grand structure why Britain holds onto its monarchy so tightly despite the system being all but ornamental at this point. It gives a regalness to the nation, a sense of heritage and an awareness of the oldest traditions.


"God save the Queen"

My final thoughts on this trip to London includes a sense of wonder, admiration, and chagrin. It is so hard to imagine that almost a thousand years of history is located within such a grand city.

That history is prevalent within the actions of the English; it's very based in heritage, in upholding tradition, whether that is through the changing of the guards, through the lampposts, or through preservation of the various architecture within London (or even, any other British town). For a girl from California - who has only ever been a part of modern architecture yet still part of an ethnic family who still upholds cultural traditions - London is wonderful to see and to experience, if only because I understand that need to hang onto your heritage, to cling onto that valuable piece of yourself that if gone, is lost forever.

Furthermore, I admire the respect allocated by the Brits to their city; you can see this in the spotless sidewalks (I did not see anyone litter nor were there large amounts of wastepaper baskets in the city. Yet, the streets were still spotless), the old buildings, regal and meticulously maintained, through the iconic red phone booths, and especially through the vibrant life that permeates what is commonly seen as an old city. It's timeless, both new and old, and more beautiful in its multifaceted nature.

Sadly, I've been here for two weekends now and I've only seen a small fraction of the city. And I can not wait to come back sometime soon and see more of it. Not to mention that contrary to popular opinion, the air is wonderfully clear here and there is no fog. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment