Monday, January 5, 2009

Of the Importance of Sleep

At the end of my 2nd full day of London (January 3rd), I slept better than I ever remember. One good thing about forcing yourself through a long, busy day, you get your rest, which is untimely, undisturbed, and ever so peaceful.

Funded by the Educational Abroad Program and led by our lovely EAP guide Jenn (whom I won't let the fact that she graduated from USC be a fact against her), the schedule for the day included (remember I was half-asleep the whole day due to not getting a full-night's sleep the night before):

Orientation meeting at 8:30AM - 2 hours

A short, teasing tour through the Tate Museum of Modern Art (which contained Marcel DuChamp's "Bride Getting Stripped Bare by her Bachelors" to which I squealed) - 1 hour



The way to the museum, which includes the Waterloo Bridge on the Thames. Notice the crown on the lamppost, to indicate that this is near Victoria Street and thus royal.



Ice Skating at Somerset House which was both magical and kind of frightening with all of the people - 1 hour


Wandering around London trying to get a cellphone and braving the cold and traffic - 2 hours

The one and only Trafalger Square at dusk.

An early 2 course dinner at the so-high-class-shit-I-can't-believe-I-walked-in-wearing-my-UCLA-sweatshirt Criterion where I had the most wonderful smoked salmon appetizer (with a delicious cheese whose name I do not know but damnit I want it again) and the most tender, most expensive steak I have ever had - 1 hour


The menu didn't even have prices on it so I can only imagine how much this rib-eye cost.

A play entitled "Potted Potter" where I saw the entire 7 Harry Potter books condensed, satorized, and as a result, side-clutchingly hilarious - 70 minutes



"Catch the Golden Snitch."


Finally getting a good night's rest at the end of a long, memorable day in London - priceless.

1 comment:

  1. wait...you didn't have to pay for that steak? How nice! Did you get yourself a jacket yet? On your off-days, wanna try to translate this blog into Vietnamese so mom and dad can follow along on your wild 6 months adventure?

    Heart ya! -TNT

    ReplyDelete