Monday, January 26, 2009

Of the University of Warwick


University House

Since I've been getting a lot of questions in regards to London, I would like to take this post to remind everyone that (unfortunately) I am not going to school in London. This post is instead going to be dedicated to the University of Warwick.


The University was built in 1964 on a piece of farmland in the middle of Warwickshire (the county of Warwick). The nearest towns are Coventry, Leamington Spa, and Kennilworth; it is a 2 hour train ride away northwest from London and thus significantly colder. Since the university is located in the middle of nowhere, it is is a small town within itself. This town contains such amenities as a: pub, nightclub, movie theatre, play theatre, cafes, and restaurants. I haven't been able to find the police station or hospital but I'm sure it's around.


The Art's Center, apparently the largest arts center in the UK outside of London. I don't know whether to be proud or slightly perturbed.


And, last but not least, because this is England, there is also a wildlife reserve right behind campus of which I took a walk in one sunny Sunday to find:

A river

Swans

Tocil Woods

When I first imagined a university of England, I thought it was going to be something like UCLA, red brick, columns, that look of age and experience. Instead, I get...

South Campus (aka: ugly modern. That's the Humanities building btw)

But hey, at least I get green trees, rolling hillsides, clean air, and birds. That's a plus. Additionally, I also get classes that last all year with exams only being once a year (sweet!). Of course, when I go back home, it is going to suck major-wise. But I'll enjoy the sights in the meantime.

Britishisms I learned today:
  • potato chips = crisps. A bag of crisps will come with 6 little bag of potato chips in it. On that note, "Lay's" potato chips is "Walkers."
  • Chips only refers to largely cut french-fries. Thinly sliced french-fries (ie: fast-food fries) are still called french-fries
  • there are no such things as dryer sheets. I only found one box after looking at two convenient stores and it was 4 quids. Bastards.
  • Shire = county. So Warwickshire = Warwick county. Nifty huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment